Red Thread Chronicles

An invisible red thread connects those destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but never break. -- Ancient Chinese Proverb



Thursday, June 22, 2006

A possible career as a UN interpreter?

Since I've been living and breathing Yongchen for weeks now, I want to know EVERYTHING. And what better way than by what better way than by comparing her original SWI report to the translation! (Yes, I'm weird and neurotic. I actually consider that fun). I used a book I have that groups chinese characters together by left, right, top or bottom (it's easier than it sounds) and a dictionary with English/Pinyin and a radical index (I still haven't completely figured out the whole radical thing, but I'm faking my way through it). I used this site a LOT: Learn Chinese Characters

For the most part, I have to say the translators did a bang up job. But some stuff wasn't included that mommy-me wants to hear! Like that she gets on well with others. And that she likes to imitate adults. And help adults.

Actually, it seems to say she loves/likes [to] help adults exchange/interflow/interchange.

Now, I'll admit I'm having a little trouble translating that idiomatically. My best guess is that she likes to help adults and interact with them. I could be exceedingly wrong there. Perhaps she is exchanging the adults all together? Hmmm. Perhaps my child is actually in charge of the orphanage, arranging for the coming and going of the adults? (Or not. It's late. Cut me some slack.)

Here's the one that really puzzles me, though: Dui (yes/correct) tu (picture/map) an (table-I think) huo (to be puzzled/confused) xing (start, prosper, excitement) qu (hasten interest in)

From what I can tell, "tuan" translates as pattern or design, and "xingqu" translates as interest

But I can't quite figure out the idiom. Is it saying she's interested in puzzled? Confused by patterns? Excited and interested when confronted with a puzzle?

It's a mystery.

More, it's a mystery that makes me realize that I'll be doing good to tell her "Wo shi nide mama" and that We're going home to America (which I can say, but can't spell, so why embarrass myself? (Oh, and note to self: practice asking where the bathroom is!)

Tune in next week for my continuing adventures in Mandarin. Hopefully I'll have figured those out and moved on to memorizing comforting toddler phrases!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home