Red Thread Chronicles

An invisible red thread connects those destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but never break. -- Ancient Chinese Proverb



Monday, June 19, 2006

Hug Your Kids (or kiss your referral picture!)

So, as I’m driving home from the airport this evening, an ambulance and a police car pass me, near the turn into my neighborhood. They’ve kept going on the main street, so I think nothing of it.

Then I turn into our subdivision and see a firetruck racing toward me. It turns onto my street (we're on a corner, and it's on the street that runs along our side yard, not on our driveway street). I turn, too, and then I see it — 2 firetrucks, 2 police cars, 1 ambulance and a huge crowd. It’s one house past ours (the next intersection), essentially in front of the “back” portion of our side lot. I turn into our driveway and D says “did you hear all the sirens”. I told him yes, and that I hoped it wasn’t a kid. For some reason, I just had a feeling.

Walked over there, and saw a mangled bike on the street. Sure enough, one of the kids from that street (it ends in a cul-de-sac) was hit by a big red truck. They were putting him on a stretcher/brace. I could hear him crying and moaning. Couldn’t really see him. His brother and sister were frantic (my a/c the street neighbor took them to their house to wait for their mom ... I feel so bad for her!).

Since I couldn’t do anything and didn’t want to gawk, I walked back home and hugged C REALLY tight. Then we heard the chopper. They started to land it in our yard (we're on an acre, but the house is essentially in one corner, so we have an entire side lot that’s basically vacant) but ended up in the street right in front of our house.

It was sooo scary, and I feel so bad for the little boy, who must be hurting no end — and in serious condition if they’re lifeflighting him to Austin or Temple --and for the parents. What a horrible call to get. I feel bad for the truck driver, too. I don't know how the accident happened, but how devastating to have hit a kid on a bike.

I have no idea how the boy is doing. I asked the fireman who’d come to tell us they were landing the helicopter in our yard, but he was actually called in only to direct the helicopter down and hadn’t seen the little boy.

Honestly, it was like watching my worst nightmare. Every time I think about it, I just want to cry. That little boy and his family are in my prayers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home